Cowichan This Week
Cowichan Valley news and events: Find out what's happening.
Welcome to Cowichan This Week! This is your essential reading for staying connected to what’s up and what’s coming up in the Cowichan Valley. We update this page every week with current news and events. If you want to receive this information straight to your inbox, sign up for our Cowichan Valley newsletter.
News of the week.
I try to pick stories that deliver good, local information and don’t rely on fear-mongering to get your attention.
- Municipality of North Cowichan council voted on Aug. 21 to move forward with a public engagement plan for the municipal forests. Visit The Cowichan Discourse on Facebook for a full report from the council meeting.
- North Cowichan council voted to give the Vancouver Island Motorsport Circuit‘s rezoning and expansion plans first and second reading on Aug. 21. There will be a public hearing on the issue on Oct. 1. Visit The Cowichan Discourse on Facebook for the details.
- The Government of B.C. has banned taking water from the Koksilah watershed for industrial use and for watering forage crops like hay and corn. The restriction lifts on Oct. 1. Alison Nicholson, CVRD director for Area E, shared background information on the Koksilah drought on Facebook this week.
- The City of Duncan will increase parking violation fines for repeat offenders, the Cowichan Valley Citizen reports.
Here are my picks for community-centred events in Cowichan over the coming week. Have a suggestion for one to include? Send me an email.
- Aug. 22: 🌱 Join the Cowichan Green Community for the grand opening of the Ross Wristen Inclusion Garden. It is designed to be a space for people of different abilities to grow food and connect.
- Aug. 23-25: 🍷 Enjoy great wine, food and entertainment all weekend long at the Cowichan Valley Wine Festival.
- Aug. 24: 🚜 Celebrate South Cowichan agriculture at the 110th anniversary edition of the Cobble Hill Fair.
- Aug 24: 💃 Show’em what you got at Chemainus Talent Saturday at Waterwheel Park. The event closes the season of Music in the Park.
- Aug. 25: 🗑️ Pick up cans and clutter for a cause at the annual Lower Cowichan River Cleanup.
- Fuller Lake in Chemainus may be unsafe for swimming. Island Health posted a beach advisory on Aug. 16 due to high levels of bacteria in the water.
That’s it for this week. This information is for you. Help me make it better by sending your feedback to email@example.com. And, please help me spread the word by sharing this story.