Cowichan This Week
Cowichan Valley news and events: Find out what's happening.
Welcome to Cowichan This Week! This is your essential reading for staying connected to what’s up in the Cowichan Valley. We update this page every week with current news and events. If you want to receive this information straight to your inbox, sign up for our Cowichan Valley newsletter.
News of the week
- The Municipality of North Cowichan denied the Vancouver Island Motorsport Circuit’s application to rezone its property to make way for a major expansion. Read The Discourse Cowichan’s report on the mega-hearing. And check out what we heard from people we spoke with at the meeting, who showed depth and complexity in their perspectives.
- The Chemainus River Campground will stay open while it seeks to remove its property from the Agricultural Land Reserve, the Chemainus Valley Courier reports. The campground was facing an Oct. 1 deadline to cease non-agricultural use of the land.
- The Duncan-area women’s shelter, operating since last December, is near full capacity, the Cowichan Valley Citizen reports.
- Cowichan’s Humanity for Horses Rescue will shut down for good due to a lack of funds and volunteers, the Cowichan Valley Citizen reports.
- The Catalyst Crofton paper mill will resume full operations on Oct. 15., CHEK News reports. The mill had temporarily laid off 70 workers late last month.
- Oct. 11: 🕺 Move your body in the name of community and connection at Dance Temple, at the HUB at Cowichan Station.
- Oct. 12: 🌳 Harold Joe is an archeological advisor, filmmaker, grave digger and member of Cowichan Tribes. Join him for a guided tour of the Ye’yumnuts Historical Village, near the Somenos Garry Oak Protected Area. This event is part of the WildWings Nature & Arts Festival.
- Oct 12: 🤓 Feeling smart? Put your brain to the test at Riot Brewing Co.’s Trivia Night, in Chemainus.
- Oct. 15: 🌊 The Shawnigan Basin Society invites you to learn more about Shawnigan’s weir system as part of its monthly information meetings on lake health.
- Oct. 15: 🚒 Join the Mill Bay Community League for a fire safety discussion and demonstration.
- Oct. 16: 🎤 Get to know Cowichan-Malahat-Langford MP candidates at a forum hosted by the Cowichan Lake District Chamber of Commerce.
Have a suggestion for a community event to include in Cowichan This Week? Send me an email.
Photo of the week
Jenny Holden captured this shot of a curious goat in Cobble Hill on Oct. 9, 2019.
Have an awesome photo of life in Cowichan? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org and it could be next week’s photo of the week!
In your words
Mark Primmer of Well Bred Bakery gave The Discourse Cowichan an awesome shout-out on Facebook this week in response to our coverage of the Vancouver Island Motorsport Circuit. “Support The Discourse,” he wrote. “The reporting is honest and comprehensive.”
Jack MacNeill replied in the comments: “Agreed Mark Primmer. The subscriptions are for sale but Jacqueline Ronson is NOT! Integrity and smarts in spades.”
Thanks, Mark and Jack! We happen to agree.
We think this community deserves high-quality, in-depth reporting, like our reporting that revealed that the Cowichan Valley Citizen was suppressing criticism of the VIMC expansion plan, apparently to avoid upsetting an advertiser. Read more about how our ongoing coverage has had an impact here. If you appreciate our coverage, please make a one-time contribution today to support our ability to dig into the next issue that matters for Cowichan.
That’s it for this week. This information is for you. Help us make it better by sending your feedback to email@example.com. And, please help us spread the word by sharing this story.